Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Alice in Wonderland

The movie was what I expected as far as digital effects and 3D animation. I liked some of what Tim Burton did to the story line and certain things I believe could have been done different.
My history on the original Alice's Adventures in Wonderland is a little rusty but I enjoyed the new opening scenes. Alice's fall down the rabbit hole was one of the memorable scenes for me. the 3D aspect and the general disorienting view the audience was shown added to the appeal. I also enjoyed the slightly adult humor interjected into the movie. The graphic design elements were so well executed the landscapes and settings were beyond belief.
I thought that some things were lacking. I guess I expected more creative characters from Tim Burton. The the Red Queens army was armored cards that were orange. The White Queens army was just chess piece heads. The dragon I felt like I had just seen it in another movie preview. There was aspects of comedy, adult action and disney style children's characters, but none of which felt done all the way. The movie seemed to flip flop from kids to adults to somewhere in between, and I do not think it was smooth enough. I think Tim Burton should have gone completely adult humor, trippy and explored more of the old, harsher, concepts of the original Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, or he should have gone further towards a kids, fun, 3D animated movie. The movie just teetered between the 2 and I believe it hurt the overall appeal of the movie. Young kids are going to leave with a million questions, and adults are going to leave wanting it to have had more of whatever the "wow" factor was for them.

Defiantly worth seeing, the 3D aspects made it worth the price of admission and the plot was enjoyable.

No comments:

Post a Comment