Sunday, March 14, 2010

AIW3D



I've always been interested in iterations of alice in wonderland, and there have been quite a few; some of them are dark and suspenseful and others are happy and disney-fied so to speak. The story itself is nearly 200 years old and its intriguing how the basic story is still so popular and how much it has changed. Dodgson, the author, was a mathemetician and included in the story many mathematical principles, as well as philosophical ideas. A full explanation of the story, its history and symbolism and various media adaptations can be found here:
Alice

On a scale of 1 to 10 I'd give this and 8.5. The production value is massive, and I definitely agreed with the choices in casting. I'm not a huge fan of Johnny Depp but he is very dynamic. It seemed to me that this version was slightly focused on Alice and Hatter's romance though, which kind of seemed like a mechanic to appeal to a larger audience though it did fit within the context of the story. The effects are indisputably amazing, anyone who says it seemed fake is obviously not appreciative of the kind of work that goes into making it seem even 50% realistic. I believe that in order to experience the movie fully everyone should see this in 3D though, it just adds that WoW factor. On the other hand though I believe that this and Avatar have had something of an impact in the trend of 3D cinema, who knows where it will end up but I definitely enjoyed the experience, and that in itself justifies the ticket price. Generally I end up paying 9-15$ for a ticket at the theaters and thats without 3D. If every movie were able to be made in 3D, or at least the viable ones, I would go to the movies all the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment